Location of Flinders
The current electoral boundaries encompass a large portion of the Eyre Peninsula, all of the West Coast of South Australia out to the Western Australian border. It has an area of about 58,000 square kilometres, with a coastline in excess of 2,500 kilometres. Flinders consists of nine local government areas and one outback area. Major service centres include Port Lincoln, Ceduna, Streaky Bay, Elliston, Wudinna, Lock, Cleve, Cowell, Tumby Bay, and Cummins.
History of the Flinders Electorate
Flinders was a district for the Legislative Councils of 1851-1856. It was one of the original 17 State electorates created in 1856 and effective at the first elections held for a bicameral Parliament in South Australia in 1857. It is the only district to have survived in name to the present day.
Captain Matthew Flinders, RN (1774-1814) made the first charts of the Australian coast and promoted the name Australia. In mid 1801 he set out from England in the vessel Investigator and surveyed the southern coastline of Australia.
On his voyage back to England he was detained on the island of Mauritius for six years and finally returned home in 1810.
Did You Know?
Our local economy is based on primary production—dryland mixed farming, fishing, aquaculture and the relatively new industry of fish ranching, plus small areas of viticulture and speciality crops—that generates well in excess of $1 billion worth of production annually.
Eyre Peninsula produces a third of South Australia's annual grain harvest, most of which is exported to markets around the world. We also produce two thirds of the State's seafood harvest and run about 6 per cent of the State's livestock, all of which provides valuable export income for SA. Local, national and international tourists find the spectacular scenery and relaxed lifestyle provides a wonderful holiday destination.
Seventy five per cent of Australia's gypsum is mined at Penong and exported through Thevenard. This, along with salt, grain, and, more recently, mineral sands, has made Thevenard one of the busiest ports in the State. Ninety per cent of the world's supply of black jade is mined at Cowell. The Eyre Peninsula offers significant mining potential, particularly iron ore.
The township of Port Lincoln, now the largest settlement in the electorate (about 15,000) was established in 1839, just the third European settlement in South Australia, and inland exploration of the area was first undertaken by Edward John Eyre in 1840-41. The peninsula that he traversed now bears his name.